Setting up your email software on a PC with Outlook Express
Microsoft ends its support for Windows XP inc Outlook Express, find out more.
For the best experience using Office 365, we recommend that you always use the latest supported browsers and Office clients.
Find out more about system requirements.
To get the latest supported version of Outlook, upgrade to Office 365 Small Business Premium.
To set up an email account using Outlook Express with Microsoft Office 365, simply:
- Open the Tools menu in Outlook Express and select Accounts.
- In the Internet Accounts window, click on the Add button and select Mail.
- In the Display Name field, enter your name or your company name as you would like it to appear on your outgoing email, then click Next.
- If you are using Outlook Express version 5, you will be asked to use an existing address or sign up for a new one. Select I already have an email address I'd like to use. The option to sign up for a new address is not presented in Outlook Express version 6.
- Enter your email address. This may be:
- an email address which uses a domain name you own, e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org/.com/.net
- Click Next. The next screen should show 'My incoming mail server is a POP3 server'.
- If you are using an email address with @btclick.com, @btconnect.com, or a domain name which we host for you, enter outlook.office365.com in the Incoming mail server field. Otherwise, you will need to ask the company which provided your email address what to enter here.
- Enter smtp.office365.com in the Outgoing mail server field. Click Next.
- In the Account name field enter:
Your Name - Your name or your company name as you would like it to appear on your outgoing email.
Email Address - Your
BT Business email address. This can be of the form username@
btconnect.com, or username@
yourbusinessname is a domain name hosted by us or a third party domain name registered with us for
- If you entered something other than
outlook.office365.com for the incoming mail server in the previous step, you will need to ask the company which provided your email address what to enter for the account name.
- Your Name - Your name or your company name as you would like it to appear on your outgoing email.
- Enter your password and tick Remember password, you will not have to re-enter your password every time you check for new email. Do not tick 'Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)'.
- Click Next and then Finish.
- Highlight the account by left-clicking on the name of the email account.
- Click on Properties to configure this email account.
- Click on the Servers tab.
- In the Outgoing Mail Server section, check the box for My server requires authentication.
- Click the Setting button.
- If your incoming mail server is set as pop.outlook.com, tick Use same settings as my incoming mail server.
- If you are using a different incoming mail server then tick Log on using and type your email account username and password here.
- Click Apply.
- Click OK.
You have successfully set up your Outlook Express email client to send and receive email.