If you're a new customer with an existing domain hosted by a supplier other than us, you can order BT hosting and email and have them configured to work with your existing domain.
To use externally hosted domains with BT services, you must own this domain or have access to modify the DNS configuration for the domain.
When we've received your request, you'll receive further instructions via email.
Email - Amend your DNS MX records
If you're switching your email to us, you must activate your email service and amend your DNS MX records to point to Microsoft Office 365.
To set up your email service with a custom domain that is not hosted by us, please use the following steps:
- Sign in to MyOffice using your username i.e. email@example.com and your password.
- Click on Email Summary.
- Select your Primary User.
- Click Activate (this may take up to 30 minutes). Your email will be available to use when the activation is complete.
- You'll then receive an email asking you to update your MX records with your external domain host.
- When you've updated your external domain host you'll have to validate your domain for use with Office 365. Your email will be available to use when validation is complete.
If you need to make your website live and your domain is managed by another company, see below.
Web hosting - Amend your DNS A records
To use an externally hosted domain name with the BT Business Web hosting services, you will need to reconfigure associated A records to point to our service IP address.
Please ensure that your BT website is fully built and working before you make this change, as your old website will stop working.
It’s easy to make changes to your domain name. To do this, contact the company that currently hosts your domain name and ask them to update your DNS A record to 188.8.131.52.
You'll also want to change the records to allow users to find your website without entering ‘www’.
These changes will point your domain to your new BT Website and take up to 24 hours to take effect.
To find out who manages your existing domain you can look up the company using one of the websites listed below. Just visit one of these sites and enter your website address: