There is no rule to the amount of computers that are connected, but the more computers you attach to one broadband connection and the more activities you run at the same time, it's more likely that your connection is going to slow down.
Things to consider to get the best performance:
- The speed of your broadband line. This will depend upon the service you have purchased. The line speed will vary depending on number of factors such as distance from your exchange, line quality, usage on the network.
The activities you are running. Data hungry applications might take up a lot of bandwidth, example:
- VoIP (making phone calls over the internet),
- large files transfer
- video conferencing
- Peer to peer traffic
- The capacity of the router if you are using an old model.
Want to know more? See below for answers to our most common problems.
- How do I test my connection speed?
- How does distance from the exchange affect me?
- My connection is slow, what can I do?