You'll need to decide a few things before you get started:
- Who do you want to build your site?
- What do you want your site to do?
- Which program will be used to build your site?
Who do you want to build your site?
Building your own site isn't as intimidating as it used to be. Using a variety of programs (which we'll cover in the next section), it's quite easy to build a good site with no prior experience. It's also worth noting that, unless you're removing an existing website, if it all goes wrong you can just wipe it and start again.
That said it's worth thinking of building a website as like DIY. Simple jobs are easy to do yourself but if you want anything more complicated, you'll need either to learn more skills or get someone else to do it for you.
If you do want someone to build your site for you, we can help, see our Marketing Solutions.
What do you want your site to do?
Regardless of whose building your site you'll want an idea of what your site should do for you. Whilst there are a number of options some common one are -
- A couple of pages giving details on you and your company and how to get in touch
- A site consisting of up to a few dozen pages acting as detailed a brochure for your company and products
- An online shop which gives some information on your company but is primarily geared towards selling your products directly to customers
Which program will be used to build your site?
Unless you've purchased our eShop package a good place to start is our EasySiteWizard Professional program. This will allow you to build a good basic site and is a great place to start if you've never built a website before. If you have some experience or you're feeling ambitious you could try using Joomla or WordPress. Alternatively, you could use a 3rd party program. The choice is yours!
Building an online shop can be more complicated as it requires security for your customer's data. If you want to dip your toe in the water, you could setup an EasyStoreMaker Professional site alongside a standard website built using EasySiteWizard Professional. If selling your products online is definitely where you want to go we'd recommend one of our eShop packages.