You can associate your own domain to your Office 365 Business Essentials or Premium service. You'll need to:
- Sign in to Microsoft Office 365 using your Office 365 admin credentials (your username was initially set up as firstname.lastname@example.org)
- On the Office 365 admin centre bar on the right of the screen, click Domains
- In the Manage Domains centre, click + Add domain
Let's get started
There are now 3 main steps to adding a new domain -
Step 1: verify your domain
- Input the domain name that you want to use when you see the question 'Which domain do you want to use?'
If you don't have a domain, please contact us to buy one
- Click Next
- You'll now need to add a TXT record to prove to Microsoft systems that you own the domain you've entered. To do this, go to your DNS host and copy the values from the table displayed on the screen in order to authenticate your domain. You'll first be asked, "Which domain do you want to use?"
Write down your existing domain name, and click next. If you don't have a domain just yet, you can contact us to purchase one.
If you're using a domain hosted by us, click on How to add a TXT record to a BT-hosted domain for further help.
If you can't use a TXT record with your current domain provider, you'll find an option to update your MX records instead.
- Once you've added the TXT record to your domain, select Okay, I've added the record
- You'll see a message confirming that Microsoft Office 365 has now verified that you own this domain
Step 2: add users
- Update your existing users to your newly set up domain
- Add new users under this domain (you can only do this if you own any unassigned Office 365 licences; if you need extra licences, see
How to buy extra Office 365 licences on BT Business Apps?
Step 3: set up domain
- Update your DNS records, which will make sure Outlook can automatically connect to the right Exchange server, setting up instant messaging and helping to prevent spam email
- Click Next
- Microsoft Office 365 will ask you to transfer your DNS management to them so they can set up the DNS records for Office 365 for you - it's up to you whether you choose Yes or No
- If you select Yes, you'll be taken through a process to update your nameserver
- If you prefer to manage your DNS records yourself, or if you own an existing website, we recommend you select No
- Click Next
- Select the services you want to use with your domain
- Office 365 will show you the DNS records you need to add to your Domain host so that Office 365 services synchronise with your domain
- Once you've followed these steps, you'll be fully set up