If your products are not visible in the eShop storefront, there are three possible explanations. If the products disappeared after the migration to the new product, it may be that they are not assigned to categories yet, and that you now need to assign them to a place in the catalogue to make them visible. If the products are newly entered, you may have to either switch them to visible mode in your Merchant Back Office (MBO), or you may need to check your optimization settings.
Please read on to solve your issue.
1) Assigning products to categories
Following the upgrade of BT eShop, you may find that you cannot see products on your storefront. If this is the case, please check in the MBO that the products are assigned to categories.
To do this, first visit the categories module (use the button on the top menu bar) then click the blue products tab. Here you will find a list of the products on your home page.
If you wish, you can create new categories from here, and navigate through the categories in your store from this top level home page area (simply entitled categories) by selecting the pages tab. Each category you create has a tab entitled products. Clicking on this tab will show a list of products that are attributed to this category.
Please note: That you don’t need to have products in every category if you don’t wish to.
To add one or many products to a particular category you can:
- Visit the products module (use the button on the top menu bar), search for the products you want in a given category and place them in the tray by ticking the boxes next to the required products, using the add to tray option from the drop-down list at the bottom of the product list, and clicking execute. Now go to the categories module (use the button on the top menu bar), and navigate through your catalogue to the page you want. Now visit the products tab for that category, and click the add products from object tray link. The products from the tray will be added to this category.
If you want to assign a product to multiple categories in one go:
- Visit the products module (use the button on the top menu bar), search for the product you want to assign to multiple categories, click on the product number, and you will see a lot of new product related tabs called general, images, categories, variations etc. Click on the categories tab, and from the drop-down list on this page select the categories in which you want the selected product to appear. To display the product on the home page, simply select the categories category from the list and this will show the selected product on the home page of your store.
2) Making products visible on the storefront
When you first create products they will automatically be set to not visible on the storefront. When a product is not visible, in the product list view (click on the products module in the top menu bar) it will appear with a grey box icon next to the product number and product name. If the product is visible on the storefront, in the product list view it will appear with a yellow box icon next to the product number and product name.
To set a product to visible, you can either:
- Tick the box next to the product in question, and select set visible from the drop-down list at the bottom of the page. Now click execute, and the product will be made visible. Remember to assign the product to a category in the storefront.
- Alternatively, click on the product number in the product list page, and you will enter the product detail view page. Here you can select the option visible as either yes or no using the radio button situated directly below the product number.
Please note: You will need both visible products and visible categories to be able to see your products and catalogue structure on the storefront.
3) Using optimization settings
Visit the settings module in the MBO and select the second tab, optimization. This feature stores your storefront pages in a memory, allowing customers that are visiting your store to browse very rapidly through your categories and products. Pages delivered from memory appear nearly instantly, creating a smooth experience for your customer. When your customer views a page stored in memory, the page shown will not necessarily contain all the most recent updates to your store. If you update details on a page, the changes will only be visible on the storefront once the memory has been cleared.
If you have optimization set to 1 day, for example, the memory will be cleared every day. This means that if you make changes to products, categories, your home page, or other information in the MBO, this will not take effect on the storefront until up to a day later.
To update the storefront immediately, you can either:
- Click the update immediately button. This clears the memory and makes all changes visible in the storefront.
- Set the validity of all pages to Always update and click save to turn off the store-in-memory feature. Then all storefront changes will be visible in real-time. This is a good idea when you are making large numbers of changes to the storefront. If you do this, it is advisable to change the validity back to 1 day or 1 week afterwards to speed up storefront performance.